Greetings!

Hello family & friends! I decided to start this blog to be able to share some of my recipes, tips & different activities. Please keep in mind that this is a work in progress, and although I don't have children, I have a fulltime job & a fiance! Anyways, I sure hope you all find this site useful. Thanks for stopping by!
Below are my latest posts:

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Spaghetti Sauce


Spaghetti Sauce
5 onions, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
3 green bell peppers chopped
2-4 tbsp. vegetable oil
Throw that in your crockpot on low heat until onion is transparent.
Then add the following and cook on low heat for 4-5 hours, stirring every hour or so:
16 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes (drain most juice off)** (READ BELOW)
4 tbsp. dried oregano
2 tbsp. dried basil
3 tbsp. dried parsley
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
30 oz. tomato paste
(I did 1.5 times recipe... dont worry)
After it's cooled, divide into quart size freezer containers & freeze. I added hamburger/sausage mixture to my bags & froze. Another tip is to lay flat, in stack & when you first freeze, like shown below, so it stores easily.
Another option is to can (without meat), in hot sterilized jars & waterbath 15 minutes. Cool, make sure they seal & store in a cool dark area.
***How to peel tomatoes: Boil water, cut off bad spots on tomatoes, put tomatoes in a few at a time, for 30-50 seconds. The skin will crack and slide off easily. I usually throw them in cold water while I'm boiling the others. Don't leave them in the boiling water too long, or they will get mushy. Just until the skin cracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add any questions or comments & I will try to reply as soon as I can. Thanks!